Once you have registered your wedding in Thailand as well as the prenuptial then you can now apply for a UK spouse Visa for your Thai wife. Unlike a US visa for a Thai girlfriend the UK spouse visa allows you to take your wife back to the UK and will also allow her to work once all the paperwork has been completed. You can apply for the visa as soon as they have issued you with your marriage certificate.
UK Spouse Visa
There are requirements for you to meet in order to take your Thai wife back to the United Kingdom. These visa requirements are as follows:
- You and your Thai wife must be 18 years old or older;
- Also you have met each other in person and are legally married;
- You and you Thai wife must intend to live together permanently in the UK;
- Also you must have enough money to support yourselves in the UK;
- You must earn more than £18,600 per year;
- You must have proper accommodation for you, your spouse and any dependants;
- She must satisfy the English language requirements.
The visa application process in Bangkok depends on a number of factors however it should be issued within 3 months or 12 weeks for date of application. Note that the visa is usually valid for a period of 33 months where she would then have to make a last application in the UK for permission to remain permanently. The visa can be extended to 5 years and you can then apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). From there she will be able to apply for British citizenship.
Note that if she has a child or children then the amount of money needed to show financial ability would be as follows. You must also meet the financial requirement of:
- £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
- £22,400 per year for you and one child
- £2,400 per year for each additional child
UK Visa Requirements
If she cannot speak any English then this might present a problem and she is going to need to have her language skills tested from an approved test provider. They do check on the language ability as she would need to be able to communicate while in the UK. The following are the basic documents which you will be needing:
- Her current passport or other valid travel ID
- One passport-sized colour photograph
- Proof of your relationship to the person you’re joining
- Also proof you can meet the financial requirement or maintenance requirement
- Proof of your knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over
- Her tuberculosis test results
- Police Clearance certificate
If she has been deported before from the UK then the chances of obtaining a visa for the UK is going to be very slim. You need to speak to an attorney in Thailand for guidance and assistance with the spouse visa. All the documents need to be collected and ensure that there are no misunderstandings or the visa application will be rejected.